outrtacamon In the interests of a more organized ROM hacking community, the administration of the PK Hack community has come to several conclusions based on the extant evidence. One of these being, while the PK Hack community's uniqueness makes it important in the realm of ROM hacking, it also can serve as a model for a greater unification among the general ROM hacking community. It is then, in this interest that we created this web site, datacrystal.org. This site is intended to be a repository of all hacking knowledge, a resource for hackers of any console game.
Datacrystal's usages have many parallels to Wikipedia, and therefore many of the What Wikipedia is not rules apply to Datacrystal. More specific rules are below, including differences from Wikipedia.
What Datacrystal can be
- Datacrystal can be a pseudo-dictionary.
- Because ROM hacking involves the use of many specialized terms, we encourage the creation of pages to define terms. However, these articles should include more than a simple definition, and should be linked to from other pages (see our policy on orphaned pages.)
- Datacrystal can be a publisher of original thought.
- Since ROM Hacking often involves pioneering work, we encourage you to submit your own work to Datacrystal. However, please only submit verifiable information. Please do not use Datacrystal for opinion pieces or non-ROM Hacking work.
- Datacrystal can contain lists of data.
- Because of the nature of ROM Hacking, especially ROM and RAM maps, some articles may begin as lists of offsets. However, we expect that these lists will then be supplemented with additional content.
What Datacrystal is Not
- Datacrystal is not an instant message service.
- While we provide user and talk pages, these are not meant for the transmission of messages to and from our users. Many users have contact information listed on their talk page; please use this to contact them.
- Datacrystal is not an image board.
- While we do allow the uploading of images for reference purposes, please limit yourself to only a few images per article. Images deemed inappropriate (especially joke images and sexually explicit images) will be removed. Please only upload images to be used in articles.
- Datacrystal is not a message board.
- Please do not ask questions using Datacrystal; there are several websites across the Internet dedicated to asking questions about ROM hacking.
- Datacrystal is not a free space provider or webhost.
- We ask that except for image files, you host such things as hacks and utilities on your own webspace. There are many free webspace providers on the Internet.
- Datacrystal is not an anarchy.
- We have certain rules and guidelines, and ask that our users follow them if they wish to have continued access to datacrystal.org. On the other hand, we also ask that users who have issues with rules, guidelines, and procedures post their comments on the appropriate discussion pages.
- Datacrystal is not a source of free advertising or propaganda.
- Opinions on game consoles, advertisement-like feature lists for hacking utilities, and qualitative language regarding games, hacks, and utilities are generally not welcome on Datacrystal.
- Datacrystal is not a gaming encyclopedia.
- If information is available on Wikipedia, for example, it is generally outside the scope of DataCrystal. We seek to collect 'rom hacking' information, not simply gaming information. Please only create pages when there is rom hacking information to be added to them.