Difference between revisions of "Talk:Main Page"
(→Request and Help?: Response.)
(→Request and Help?: E-mails fixed.)
|Line 15:||Line 15:|
:--[[User:AnyoneEB|AnyoneEB]] 00:16, 21 August 2010 (UTC)
:--[[User:AnyoneEB|AnyoneEB]] 00:16, 21 August 2010 (UTC)
Revision as of 20:12, 20 August 2010
- 1 Request and Help?
- 2 Updates?
- 3 Dutch Allies...
- 4 Update!
- 5 ROM Hacks Classification
- 6 Super Mario World for NES
- 7 IRC Channel
- 8 Value display formats
- 9 Article Removal
- 10 zophar.net
- 11 hell0
- 12 January is Community Discussion Month!
- 13 The SPAM problem...
- 14 N64???????
- 15 Recent downtime
- 16 Needs moar console variety
- 17 Dead?
- 18 ...
- 19 Main Page Link Correction
- 20 Category Renaming
- 21 Getting rid of hack pages?
- 22 Walkthrough?
Request and Help?
Could someone add a page for the PS1, and add PS1 to the "games" sidebar? I can't edit the main page.
Nor can I confirm my email address. I just get a "mail error" message, even though I copy and pasted my email address. This does not bode well for me. If I can't get help, how do I know that this site won't drop off the face of the earth and take all my contributions with it?
(unsigned comment by User:Vimes)
- I added a PSX link to the sidebar and main page (both are protected as they are prime vandalism targets). I also made an infobox template for PSX games (Template:PSX) and changed Vagrant Story to use it. I don't know much about the PSX, so I was not sure what to actually put on it. Feel free to add whatever information belongs there. You can look at Template:iNES and Template:SNES for examples. (I just copied Template:iNES and removed the NES-specific stuff.) I did not make a page for the Sony Playstation. You can do that, or maybe I will get around to writing up a stub later.
- Not sure what is up with the e-mail thing. I will look into it.
- Please sign additions to talk pages, either by using the signature button or by typing two dashes followed by three tildes with no spaces.
- --AnyoneEB 00:16, 21 August 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, I figured out why e-mails from the server were broken. They work now. Thank you for telling me they were broken. Re-request the confirmation e-mail. --AnyoneEB 01:12, 21 August 2010 (UTC)
Is the main page ever going to be updated?
It seems to be a shame that very few people seem to care about this site. It has been almost a year since the main page has been updated. I think that more people would contribute to this site if there was any sign of life from a moderator or owner or whatever.
We should also get a new logo and state what major websites give info to this wiki.
Is anyone who has control over the site still here?
To the above
I doubt it. My idiocy from 3 years ago was still there. --ShadowDog 04:33, 29 July 2010 (UTC)
- I'm still around. I do not have the time to patrol every edit. The vast majority of the edits appear perfectly fine now that the spam filters are working. --AnyoneEB 17:37, 29 July 2010 (UTC)
Maybe because noone here knows Dutch ;) But actually there is a link on the left... I'll assume it was added after your post.
That's German... 184.108.40.206 16:27, 3 May 2009 (UTC)
I have just updated all the game systems on the left, plus Xbox, to be indexed by hacked-ness. See Help
ROM Hacks Classification
I think it would be a good idea to add a kind of code for ROM Hacks, according to what is actually modified in the hack compared to the original game. Text, graphics, levels, sound, gameplay, etc. And integrate this code as a taxobox item. What do you think? -- Trax 17:20, 3 July 2007 (EDT)
Super Mario World for NES
There is a really strange and cool homebrew version of SMW ff That ROM is incredibly hard to find but it's possible - I found it somehow.
There are no chat rooms on IRC. And noone's ever in the channel either.f Oh well.
Value display formats
I think there should be a format for displaying values, namely Hexadecimal and Decimal. f I know with some of the work I do, I like to see both rightf next to each other. Not only is it helpful if your math isn't so great, but it increases the readability for any newcomers to hacking. With some of the RAM maps I've been modifying, I've generally used $Hex(Dec), though I've been working with the 0x[HEX] as well. I'm not sure which one should be used, but that can be discussed. f In all honesty, I like the idea of using the 0x format for the addresses and the $Hex(Dec) format for value listings.
0x0015 -- Lolo's X position -- Always equal to 0x006D plus $0C(12). Not directly changeable.
Of course, it'd look much nicerfff in the chart; This is about the format of displaying values. Any feedback or comments on this would be greatly appreciated. Being an occasional organization zealot, I'm gung-ho to set a format in place and go to some of the other, less kempt pages and correct them. ^_^
P.JBoy - The way I have it: "adding numbers" (would be used for positions/momentums/health etc.) would be shown as decimal and "oring numbers" (powers of 2, would be used for button input/equiptment status etc.) would be shown as hexadecimal
Rycona - Makes sense. I sometimes make my own programs for analyzing data, depending on the situation, and since I'm lazy, I don't write the code to rework the decimal it displays into hex (which would take about 1 1/2 minutes >_<). You make a very strong argument, though. Anything more geared toward being process through more binary routines should be displayed in just Hex. I personally still have the mind set of showing all other values, or "adding numbers," as both just so you have both to work with depending on what kind of work you're doing, what suits you best, and general readability (especially for lower-level hackers such as myself).
ff They have a lot of hackfing tools that'll populate empty articles and add more to what's already here.
Also, romhacking.net is another of those places that are trying to centralize the scene.
hi, i am Andrewrox, an admin on [www.en.spongepedia.bimserver.com SpongePedia], a SpongeBob SquarePants Wiki. I am pretty much t boss of the site, and i have a few tips for you: on the Main Page, add in sections with colors.Add in templates, with colors and add in specials sfuch as: Wanted Articles, New articles, and trivia! thanks, and for examples with the main page, just check SpongePedia!
January is Community Discussion Month!
It's almost june now though ;) --Frantik 02:59, 23 May 2008 (EDT)
That message is actually from January 2007. --Case 12:18, 25 June 2008 (EDT)
The SPAM problem...
Is there anybody left here who actually has the power to fdo something about this? Like turn off non-logged-in editing and then be able to ban users who spam if they decide to set up accounts. It seems like almost every edit now is a spammer or someone removing the sfpam. :P --Case 12:22, 25 June 2008 (EDT)
- -_- I am very Sorry. I have been quite negligent in kfsion and installed/updated some anti-spam extensions. Hopefully that will greatly limit new spam. If the anti-spam measures are annoying to normal users, please complain here so I can address those issues.
- Users can help by using Template:spampage to mark pages that currently have spam that I miss.
- --AnyoneEB 05:35, 29 June 2008 (UTC)
There is a nice handfull of editors out there for n64 games. Zafum 00:56, 20 November 2008 (UTC)
Apologies for the recent downtime. Our host had some troubles with their hosting company and ending up moving to a new server. Please notify me if anything did not get transferred properly. --AnyoneEB 03:36, 25 November 2008 (UTC)
Needs moar console variety
As stated, we need moar console variety. I've had that hidden BREAKDOWN page up for a looooooong time now and after having devoted some time to considering it, a lot of XBOX games are probably just as exploitable. Thus, I think an XBOX category should be added, as well as several others as they become of interest, which doesn't seem to be happening at the moment. --NLA
- Okay, I added links to the Xbox category on the main page and sidebar. What other consoles do you think should be added? BTW, is there a standard three letter abbreviation for Xbox or is just "Xbox" fine? --AnyoneEB 03:00, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
Is DataCrystal dead? ameeps 01:03, 3 February 2009 (UTC)
- Hmmm... I guess you have made most of the changes in the past couple days (see: Special:Recentchanges on the navbar), but going back a few days there are some other users around. I guess it is not all that lively at the moment, but it's not dead. --AnyoneEB 07:29, 4 February 2009 (UTC)
The link to the Super Nintendo article reads "Nintendo Super Nintendo Entertainment System"
Main Page Link Correction
Several of the front page links now link to duplicate articles, now blanked. If at all possible, could the main admin change the Super Nintendo Entertainment System link from the current category to Category: SNES Games (as well as the link name, incorrect and mention above), the Game Boy/Color link from the current category to Category: GB/C Games, and the Game Boy Advance link from the current category to Category: GBA Games. Redstar 00:25, 7 June 2009 (UTC)
To go with the standard of abbreviating console names for their game category, Category:Nintendo 64 games should be renamed Category:N64 games, Category:Sony Playstation games should be renamed Category:PS/1 games, and Category:Playstation 2 games should be renamed Category:PS2 games. Redstar 23:54, 8 June 2009 (UTC)
Getting rid of hack pages?
Romhacking.net's ROM Hacks section seems to cover ROM hacks quite well, and is far more complete than DataCrystal will ever be. It is user-editable, and the wiki features simply don't add that much to hack pages, while the structured search on romhacking.net seems to work well. Hacks are not the main focus of DataCrystal, and there seem to be a lot of hack pages made compared to the amount of editing the hacking documentation gets. This does not seem to add any real value.
As being able to find existing hacks is certainly a feature of value, I am suggesting that instead of listing hacks on DataCrystal, game articles should just link to romhacking.net's hack list for the game. For example, Earthbound hacks.
I do not believe this is a step toward obsolescent for DataCrystal; instead, it would allow DataCrystal to focus on its strength: documentation of games which is going to naturally involve a good amount of cross-references both within a game and to various system features used like graphics and compression formats and therefore lend itself to a wiki format.
--AnyoneEB 06:07, 5 July 2009 (UTC)
There is also the site Badhacks which contain the "more mature" hacks that are on this wiki, such as the naked headless mario, or whatever it's called. I know that romhacking.net took a stance against games like that, mostly for obvious reasons, so they wouldn't be listed on RHDN. danke 11:15, 6 July 2009 (UTC) 11:15, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
"badhacks" is currently MIA
As there does not appear to be any disagreement, I am closing this discussion.
All hack pages are to be removed from this wiki (... eventually) and no new ones should be created. Instead links to romhacking.net, badhacks, and other hack repositories may be included in game articles.
Similarly, although I am not against pages on utilities, for most cases, a link to the utilities list on romhacking.net is probably sufficient. Recommendations on the most useful utilities and tutorials are fine. --AnyoneEB 23:03, 21 July 2009 (UTC)
A note on the hacks migrating to romhacking.net: Romhacking.net will not accept half-assed hacks, or hacks with very minor changes. I'm not sure why these hacks are even listed on this wiki, because they don't warrant their own pages, because the changes are so minimal. The hack submission policy on RHDN is pretty lenient, as long as you follow the submission rules. They require screenshots, links to the patches (not ROMs) hosted on another site, and an optional Read-Me. danke 07:24, 12 August 2009 (UTC)
- HackI strongly believe DataCrystal should have his own
- Thanks for the info. I don't think that should be an issue. --AnyoneEB 18:43, 12 August 2009 (UTC)
Hi, can I write a walkthrough here? There is a hack listed in this wiki which I like very much, but no walkthrough exist. --220.127.116.11 16:47, 16 August 2009 (UTC)